Wednesday, February 13, 2008

All I Wanted Was A Coffee

All I wanted was a coffee. It had been a really tiring, and warm day and I had a feeling in my mouth. The type that seems to scream, "something sweet!" I ventured into Common Grounds (the campus coffee shop). We found a seat and I approached the counter. Eying the menu, I didn't see anything that would satisfy my critical taste buds. Perhaps the specials?

Biola has an affinity with clever names. Speckled Cows and MicroBursts, and this list was no different. Love Potion, a raspberry, strawberry smoothie. Sad Single, basically a speckled cow with strawberry. I found something that seemed like just what I was craving. A raspberry and chocolate smoothie. Basically a liquefied truffle. I look at the name and instantly hate the person who thought it up.

"What can I get for you?" he says, a bit too cheerful.
"Um...can I get a..." scanning the menu for a last ditch escape hatch. No luck. "A...Sweetheart Special." I hear the words leave my mouth and I feel like kicking myself. But sadly, I love truffles. I add a comical "as fruity as that sounds." He just smiles and lets out a quick laugh.

I stand around the pick up area, hoping to intercept the drink without a public announcement of the emasculating name. My greatest wish was for the barista to just hand me the drink. He pours on the drink, and I find myself reaching for the cup, stopping myself short realizing that he's not done. Chocolate syrup around the edge, whip cream with even more chocolate syrup. Finally the lid appears and as he caps the drink, I reach for it. Please see me. Please just read my name. Please just place the cup in my hand.

He looks up, smiles at me, "Sweetheart?"

All I wanted was a coffee.

Happy (early) St. Valentines Day

No comments: